The Shirley Brewery was acquired by Nathaniel Page in 1889. The Royal Oak Brewery was founded by Henry Overton in 1854. The two companies merged in 1892 to form Page & Overton’s Brewery Ltd. In 1903, the Shirley Brewery was closed and the Royal Oak Brewery renamed the Shirley Brewery. They were bought out by Hoare & Co Ltd in 1929, but brewing continued until 1954.