The company was founded by David Magee in 1853 and the Crown Brewery built in 1866. The Grapes brewery and Horseshoe breweries of David Marshall were purchased in 1885. Registration followed in 1888. It became part of the Greenall Whitley group in 1959.
The bottle conditioned Bass label shows bottling taking place in Wigan This followed the acquisition of Henry Robinson & Co, Wigan Brewery in 1894. Bottling took place there until the second world war.
The Early Invalid Stout label has the style ‘Crown Breweries’ Bolton. Apparently around 1900, the company operated two breweries , both called Crown Brewery.