The company was formed by the consolidation of four breweries in the two towns. First there was the amalgamation of the Scarborough Brewery Co and the Old Brewery, Scarborough in 1895, then in 1897 the Scarborough and Whitby Breweries Ltd was registered to amalgamate the Scarborough breweries with Corner & Readman of the Marine Parade Brewery and Robert Raine of the Esk Brewery, Whitby. Brewing was soon concentrated in Scarborough and continued until 1953 when the company was acquired by John J Hunt of York, and later the same year by J W Cameron Ltd of West Hartlepool. Closure came in 1954. The last three labels illustrated were issued under the new ownership for beers that continued to be brewed at Scarborough.