The City Brewery founded as early as 1760 and was eventually owned by John Norman and Walter Pring in 1865. Although the name was Norman & Pring, the company traded as The City Brewery until at least the 1920s, well after the registration as a limited company in 1911. A partial merger took place in 1943 with the St Ann’s Well Brewery nearby, but the companies traded independently. The City Brewery was closed in 1956 and brewing was concentrated at St Ann’s Well.
The rectangular labels will date from this period. After being part of the Whitbread umbrella from the 1950s, full acquisition inevitably followed in 1962. Bottling continued to 1968 when a fire destroyed the premises.