Joseph Johnson was originally at the City Brewery in Durham. The Westoe Brewery was operated by Robert Henderson until it was acquired by Johnson in 1907. Joseph Johnson (Durham) Ltd was registered as a private company in 1917 to amalgamate the two breweries. The City Brewery was closed in 1924 and the name of the company changed to Westoe Breweries Ltd in 1938. It converted to a public company in 1946 and was taken over by Hammonds United Breweries in 1960. This should provide approximate dates for all the labels illustrated. At first little seemed to change except the brewery name on the labels, then gradually new designs appeared. By the late 1940s and 1950s it seems they were particularly taken with the Newcastle Breweries label shape.