The Company was registered in 1897, when James Russell and Son of the Derwent Brewery in Malton acquired William Wrangham Ltd of the Crystal Brewery, also in Malton. The Company survived until 1958 when it was acquired by the Melbourne Brewery of Leeds,. It finally closed in 1969. The Winner trademark seems to date from 1937 and almost certainly refers to John Scott, a successful trainer who established the Whitewall Stables in Malton in the 19th Century. He won 41 British Classic Races in his career.