John Lees, was a well-known cotton manufacturer, owning mills across Manchester and in 1828, he sold it all. Taking his life in a new direction, he bought land at Middleton Junction and began to build what would become the Greengate Brewery. Registered in 1936 to acquire J. W. Lees & Co., & re-registered in 1955, still brewing independently.
J.W.Lees own website can be found HERE
A small selection of the labels produced by the company over the years can be found on this page, a more substantial selection can be found HERE and it will grow.