John Arkell was a farmer, originally from Gloucestershire, who arrived in Swindon, via Canada, in 1833. Ten years later he established the brewery in Stratton St Margaret just outside Swindon at the Kingsdown Inn. After the arrival of the railway in Swindon, demand was so great that in 1861, a new steam brewery was built behind the Kingsdown Inn. Within 6 years, the growth of the company meant that the inn became the brewery offices and a new pub was built across the road. The company was registered as J. Arkell & Sons Ltd in 1927, has always been a family concern and continues to brew in much the same way as John Arkell did in 1843.
Arkell’s own website can be found HERE
A small selection of the labels produced by the company over the years can be found on this page, a more substantial selection can be found HERE