Founded as a malting company around 1870. Brewed as J.N. & G. Middlebrough from the early 1900s Registered in 1945 as Selby (Middlebrough) Brewery. Brewing stopped in 1954 because it made economic sense for sell products from Dutton’s Blackburn Brewery (beers from the Kirkstall Brewery?). The public houses were sold to Duttons in 1964 and the business was continued as beer bottlers and retailers.
Brewing recommenced by Martin Sykes, a relative of the original owner in 1972 but they only brewed occasionally.