A business in the name of John Harvey dates back to 1790. Early records indicate he supplied wines, spirits and beer in the Lewes area. Brewing began as a sideline and in 1839 a brewery was built on the current site at Bridge Wharf. John’s sons continued the development of the brewery and by 1859, they owned a number of public houses in Sussex. The company has remained in the family through a number of generations, although it was registered as a private company, Harvey & Sons (Lewes) Ltd in 1928. In 1958, the nearby Star Lane Brewery of Beard & Co closed and the pubs were supplied with beers brewed by Harvey, including Beard’s Blue Label. The company maintains it’s independence and continues to brew their excellent beers.