The company was founded in 1864 and the Dallam, Warrington brewery built 2 years later. There were Burton on Trent branches at the Midland Brewery, which operated from 1890 -95 and the Shobnall Brewery, which operated until 1923, when all brewing was concentrated at Warrington. Although brewing exclusively at Warrington, the name was not changed to Peter Walker (Warrington) Ltd until 1948. The umbrella company was Walker Cain Ltd after the merger with Robert Cain in 1921, Tetley Walker after the merger with Tetley of Leeds in 1960 and Allied Breweries from 1961, although the name Peter Walker (Warrington) Ltd remained in use until much later. Final closure of the Dallam brewery came in 1996.