The brewery was founded by the Chairman of the Rhymney Iron Company to supply the foundry workers. and when the ironworks was sold to the Powell Duffryn Steam Coal Co in 1920 the brewery became a separate company. Registered as Andrew Buchan’s Breweries Ltd in 1929, the name was changed to Rhymney Breweries Ltd in 1959 and acquired by Whitbread in 1966. The brewery closed in 1978. The ‘Hobby Horse’ trademark dates from the 1930 acquisition of D.F. Pritchard of Crumlin.