International Society of Label Collectors & British Brewery Research
  
  
  

Simpson’s Brewery Ltd

The Baldock brewery was founded in 1730. Joseph & Thomas Simpson, who were related to the Phillips family of the Royston brewery, bought the brewery in 1853. It was first registered as Simpson’s Brewery Ltd in 1935. Sold to Greene King in 1954 to avoid death duties, closed 1965 and demolished in 1968. It would be really good if someone could let us know the date when the lion & crown trademark was registered. That would sort the dating of the labels.

Double Stout in use before 1935

Pale Ale in use before 1935

Brown Ale in use before 1935

Brown Ale in use after 1935

Double Stout in use after 1935

Old Strong Ale in use after 1935

Pale Ale in use after 1935

Double Top Strong Ale in use 1940s

Old Strong Ale in use 1940s

Brown Ale in use 1950s

Double Top in use 1950s

Double Top Strong Ale in use 1950s

Introduced for 1953 Coronation

Pale Ale in use 1950s

Previous