International Society of Label Collectors & British Brewery Research
  
  
  

Robert Meiklejohn & Sons Ltd

In 1852 the premises were taken over by Meiklejohn’s Brewery who moved production from their Candleriggs brewery, which in turn was leased to George Younger & Sons, another Alloa brewer, who finally purchased that site outright in 1871. By 1856 Meiklejohn’s was owned by three business men, Charles Maitland, William Gorrie and Robert Moyes.

Maitland , a distiller by profession, adopted his family crest, the Bass Rock, as a trademark and changed the name of the company to the Bass Crest Brewery and adopted the motto “Non Fluctuo Fluctu” for bottle labels etc.
The use of this name was objected to by Bass, Ratcliffe & Gretton, the famous Burton on Trent brewer and various litigations ensued, although Maitland was able to register the Bass Rock label design as an official trademark in March 1876, not long after the Trademark Act became law – Bass of Burton having been the first business to register on 1st January 1876.

 

Meiklejohns Bass Crest Brewery - Pale Ale v1

Meiklejohns - Bass Crest Brewery Pale Ale v2

Meiklejohns - Bass Crest Brewery Table Beer v1

Meiklejohns - Bass Crest Brewery Table Beer v2

Meiklejohns - Bass Crest Brewery Table Beer v3

Bass Crest Brewery Co - Generic Label

Previous