Blood, Wolfe & Co were established in 1850 by Thomas Wolfe. Frederick Blood joined the company soon afterwards. The Z brand trademark was registered in 1876, but had been in use for years before that. Their primary market was the export of Guinness and Bass to Australia. Ihlers and Bell were a wholly owned subsidiary which traded independently. This design for bottled Guinness was approved in 1910.